Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Awesome math resource from a colleague

One of my colleagues, Joanna put together an awesome presentation about incorporating math into storytimes and library programs, but it would totally work for every day activities to help prepare kids for school.  Before she was a librarian, she was a math teacher, and she definitely knows her stuff.  The presentation really hit home to me as a parent more than as a librarian because she was highlighting things that kids should know before kindergarten and talked about things they will learn during kindergarten.  As a mom of two going into kindergarten and preschool, my ears definitely perked up.  It's amazing to think that things we probably learned in 2nd grade, kids are learning in kindergarten.  Plus there's all this "new math" and crazy ways to show work that just boggles my mind. 

I asked Joanna if I could share her presentation with parents who may be interested, and she said the more the merrier!  It's really cool.  She has video clips, book suggestions, and activity suggestions.  I'm currently planning my fall storytimes, and am definitely including more math activities.  It's never too early, and I think it's really important to make math FUN!  Enjoy!

https://prezi.com/view/5YtIiFhxJ5laRjMIsnV9/

No comments:

Post a Comment