Tuesday, July 28, 2020

So you want to lead your own storytime...

In the absence of library storytimes across the nation, I highly encourage you to lead your own at home.  Global pandemic aside, you should be leading storytimes at home because they are awesome!  Today I am here to share some info and resources for how to do it, along with my tips for turning storytime into storytimepalooza!  I like to say that everything is better when it's a palooza!

Very first resource is the ultimate resource.  We folks in the youth library biz love www.jbrary.com.  It was started to two children's librarians and has become a go-to for all kinds of wonderful information.  They posted a blog months back with links to a variety of storytime online resources.  You can throw in a couple of these along with your own (future) arsenal of programs!  I have made a habit of posting my storytime outlines on this blog so parents and caregivers can follow along with what I have been doing at the library.  It is also helpful when they want to remember the name of a book, song, or artist.  Plus it gives you a ready-made starting point.

Another very important thing is to have fun with storytime.  Read some of your favorite books, sing songs that you love, dance silly, make animal sounds, wear a costume, use props...the possibilities are endless.  If you are enthusiastic and enjoying what you are doing, it is highly likely that your audience will soon feel the same way.  This is the kind of contagious viral spread that I can get on board with!  Team up with your kids and come up with theme ideas.  Let them take charge and lead their own storytime.  It doesn't have to be a big formal event.  Some of my favorite, most memorable storytimes happened on a whim with no plan in site.  We went rogue, and it was awesome!  If reading is a positive experience, kids will want to keep on doing it. 

Now, this is hard for me as a crazy, over caffeinated children's librarian to comprehend, but sometimes you don't feel like reading or having storytime.  GASP!  This is totally okay.  Always follow your child's lead.  Again, you want to create positive experiences.  Sometimes you may get an hour of reading fun.  Sometimes, it's literally just two minutes before a meltdown.  To quote Pete the Cat, "it's all good!"

In this lovely time of Covid, spending the day at your local library might not be the greatest idea, but many systems across the country have curbside service and even virtual programs to still make the library an important part of your family's life.  You can also check out programs like Dolly Parton's Imagination Library (https://imaginationlibrary.com/) to see if you are eligible for free books to be sent to your child to build their own home library.  Many local little free libraries have also been popping up everywhere too.  I know several of my own library kiddos who have started them!  Even if you have no books at all, you can still create your own.  My girls have been writing and illustrating their own stories this summer.

There are no excuses not to read, and the benefits are out of this world!  I will continue to be here as a resource for you, but don't be afraid to ask other librarians, family, friends, etc.  One of my greatest resources for new book ideas are kids themselves.  Finally, I am including a list of some of music resources that I use all the time in my programs.  Remember how important singing is for early literacy development.  HAVE FUN!!!!


Miss Jen's Favorite Children's Music Performers

No comments:

Post a Comment