Thursday, September 17, 2020

Miss Jen's Favorite Things: Graphic Novels

Graphic novels are awesome.  Not only are they great for those who like visuals, but they are also great for reluctant readers.  Graphic novels are also a visual depiction of sequencing in a story which can even help with overall comprehension.  We are seeing more and more of them come in with our new books, and the kids are checking them out almost as quickly as they are shelved.  There are your big name series titles like Babymouse, Dog Man, and Big Nate, but there are more and more being published that are based on classic titles, popular titles, movies and television characters, and even nonfiction subjects.  Here are some of my favorite graphic novels for kids and young adults.

FICTION

The Magical Adventures of Phoebe and Her Unicorn by Dana Simpson (https://www.gocomics.com/phoebe-and-her-unicorn)

I can't even begin to tell you how much I LOVE this series.  I was introduced to it by a teen librarian that I used to work with.  She loved it and felt that I would too.  The first book, Phoebe and Her Unicorn introduces us to 9 year old Phoebe.  One day she skipped a rock across a pond, and it hit a unicorn in the face, distracting her from staring at her own reflection.  To thank Phoebe, the unicorn named Marigold Heavenly Nostrils grants her one wish.  Phoebe uses that wish to make Marigold her best friend.  Magical adventures ensue in 12 awesome books (as of 2020.)  Marigold might be one of my favorite characters in children's literature.  She is magical, beautiful, witty, and full of sass.  My daughter turns 9 next month and just started reading the first book.  She said that Marigold is her spirit animal.  Trust me, it's true!

Anything and everything by Raina Telgemeier 

  • Smile
  • Drama
  • Sisters
  • Ghosts
  • Guts (Nonfiction - see other list)

I was lucky enough to see Raina speak at a conference and get a book signed by her.  She is a total rock star.  I adore her books.  She totally nails how it feels to grow up and all the trials and tribulations that go along with it.  She writes and illustrates stories that are based on her own experiences that readers of all ages can relate to.  Her books are checked out all the time and reread over and over by the kids in her target demographic (tween, middle school.)  She also illustrated the first couple of titles of the Baby-Sitters Club graphic novel series which absolutely increases her cool factor.

 
 
The Baby-Sitter's Club Graphic Novel series based on the books by Ann M. Martin, illustrated by Raina Telgemeier and Gale Galligan
 
Between the updated graphic novels and the new Netflix series, The Baby-Sitters Club is reaching a whole new generation, and let me tell you, I AM HERE FOR IT!  This was one of my absolute favorite series growing up.  It is also being re-released in book form with updated covers.  While the order of the graphic novels deviates from the original lineup, the stories remain true to each classic title.  So far 8 titles have been released in the graphic format.  It is a comforting dose of nostalgia that is welcome during these crazy and uncertain times.  I know that several of my customers have been reading them alongside their daughters, and so have I!  My oldest is most definitely a Claudia/Stacey hybrid with some Jessi dance talent.  My youngest is 100% a Kristy, no doubt.

Baby-Sitter's Little Sister Graphic Novel series based on the books by Ann M. Martin, illustrated by Katy Farina

The newest addition to the BSC graphic world comes in the form of little sister, Karen Brewer herself!  So far, two books have come out, Karen's Witch and Karen's Roller Skates, but I am hoping for more!  While not quite as popular as the originals, these are definitely gaining popularity with my younger customers.

        

I Survived Graphic Novel series / based on the books by Lauren Tarshis, adapted by Georgia Ball, illustrated by Haus Studio

  • I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic, 1912
  • I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916
  • I Survived the Nazi Invasion, 1944

The I Survived series is already a hit with the kiddos at my library, so of course they are all about the graphic novels.  So far there are only three, but I hope they do more. 

 
Other fiction titles to check out:
  • Roller girl / Victoria Jamieson
  • All's faire in middle school / Victoria Jamieson
  • Babymouse series / Jennifer L. Holm & Matthew Holm
  • Sunny series / Jennifer L. Holm
  • White bird / a wonder story / R.J. Palacio
  • Dog Man series / written and illustrated by Dav Pilkey as George Beard and Harold Hutchins ; with color by Jose Garibaldi
  • Big Nate graphic novel series / Lincoln Peirce
  • Awkward / Svetlana Chmakova
  • Brave / Svetlana Chmakova
  • Crush / Svetlana Chmakova 
  • Lunch Lady series / Jarrett J. Krosoczka
  • Narwhal and Jelly series / Ben Clanton
  • Real Friends / Shannon Hale ; artwork by LeUyen Pham ; color by Jane Poole
  • Best Friends / Shannon Hale ; artwork by LeUyen Pham
  • Madeleine L'Engle's A wrinkle in time : the graphic novel / adapted and illustrated by Hope Larson
  • Anne of Green Gables : a graphic novel / Mariah Marsden & Brenna Thummler
  • The Giver : Graphic Novel / Lois Lowry ; adapted and illustrated by P. Craig Russell   
  • New Kid / Jerry Craft

 

NONFICTION 

Guts / Raina Telgemeier   155.4189042 T237g

I told you Raina would be making an appearance in this section.  This book addresses the issue of being afraid and having to face your fears.  It is done from the point of view of the author herself who wakes up with a stomachache that just doesn't go away and gets worse when she is worried or nervous.  This book addresses the issue of mental health in a way that is relatable and accessible to tweens who are learning more about themselves and what it means to grow up.  As someone who struggled with similar issues when I was that age, I could relate.  It was still a good read as an adult.  Sometimes a kids book hits home more than a complicated self help book.  It's also a very quick read.  I literally read it in one sitting while waiting for parent teacher conferences last year.  It was kind of crazy that I was reading it in the same school I attended as a kid.  It was all very meta.


Hey Kiddo: How I Lost My Mother, Found My Father, and Dealt with Family Addiction / Jarrett J. Krosoczka  306.8745 K928h

Being a huge fan of his picture books such as Punk Farm and Punk Farm on Tour, when I heard Jarrett J. Krosoczka was coming out with a graphic novel for teens, I knew that I had to read it.  When I heard it was nonfiction, I was even more intrigued.  Wow.  It is powerful, sad, heartbreaking, and inspiring all at the same time.  I had no idea that this author/illustrator who wrote picture books about farm animals starting a rock band had such a complicated and troubled past.  I also didn't know that he was raised by his grandparents.  His mom struggled with addiction and his father was not in the picture.  This book details his journey throughout his youth and into adulthood and how he used his art to survive.  Even if you don't share his experiences, this book will still have an impact on you.


Hazardous Tales / Nathan Hale  900s

This nonfiction graphic novel series highlights events in history including the American Revolution, Civil War, World War I, and World War II.  These books make history come alive and easier for kids to relate too.  Normally you probably wouldn't have your typical tween wanting to read history books for fun, but this series is fun to look at.  It's one of those trick them into learning moments!

  

Graphic Library:  Graphic History series / various authors 900s

This is another series that spans different periods of history and highlights different historical figures.  We have a few of them at my library, and I am looking to see if more can be ordered from the system.  Anything that makes history more interesting and easy to comprehend works for me!


 

I am also including some bonus adult graphic novels that could be good for older teens.  While I have not personally read any of these, they have come highly recommended by some of my colleagues.

  • They Called Us Enemy / written by George Takei, Justin Eisinger & Steven Scott ; [art by] Harmony Becker
 
  • March. Book One / written by John Lewis & Andrew Aydin ; [art by] Nate Powell 
  • March. Book Two / written by John Lewis & Andrew Aydin ; [art by] Nate Powell 
  • March. Book Three / written by John Lewis & Andrew Aydin ; [art by] Nate Powell  




No comments:

Post a Comment