Monday, September 28, 2020

Picture Book Spotlight: Love is Powerful by Heather Dean Brewer

So I just happened to be walking back into my department when this book caught my eye.  The title is what really did it.  Life has been kicking my rear end lately, and the world isn't the greatest of places right now, so when I saw Love is Powerful, I had to pick it up and flip through it.

It just makes you smile, right?  This book did not disappoint at all.  For starters, it has free resources to go along with it!  The author, Heather Dean Brewer has a lesson plan, reading guide, and coloring pages available on her website at www.hbrewerwrites.com.  The story begins with a little girl named Mari who is about to start a coloring project.  Mama says they are going to make a message for the world, but Mari wonders how they will see and hear it.  Mama tells her that love is powerful.  Nestled in Mama's lap, she gets started and imagines her friends, her family, and people all around the world doing the same thing.  They create signs and take them down to the street where people all march together holding signs of their own.  From on top of mama's shoulders, Mari sees a sea of people spreading as far as she can see.  Before long, Mari learns just how powerful love can be as her message spreads far and wide.

LeUyen Pham's illustrations are beautiful, with hearts on every page, traveling along with Mari and getting bigger and more plentiful as the message gets louder and louder.  People of all colors and different backgrounds are represented, and sweet little Mari is just adorable.  You can actually see her happiness radiate off the page!  My favorite part of the book comes at the end where there is a note from the real Mari as well as a picture of her that reflects the illustrations in the book.  The real Mari tells us all to "believe in yourself, be confident, and don't be afraid to speak up.  And remember to speak up not just for yourself, but for other people too."  The world needs more Mari power!

It's book fate that I happened to walk by and see this title.  I needed it today.  Books continue to work that magic on me, finding me when I need them most.

No comments:

Post a Comment